odor is easily beaten but is it a
sign of mold in your house?
is the form of mold that you find Eating your fabric. . .
I am often
asked what is the difference
between mold and mildew and the answer is simple. Mildew is mold that
is growing on cloth. Whether your textile is a shirt or a sofa in the
basement, any mold on any fabric is known as mildew.
One of the
most cited reports of the
root cause of mildew is wet laundry. Just leaving your wet laundry in a
pile for over 24 hours is a way to cause mildew odor. Leave it for 48
hours and the chances are 98.9%!
area to look out for is the side
loading washing machines. They have a tendency to grow mold around the
door and that means even a greater chance of mildew odor.
people don't think about is
whether there is a larger mold problem in their home. If you have soft
furniture in the basement, then make sure to keep the humidity as low
as possible. If rugs or furniture have become wet from water in the
basement, then you'll have to do more than just let it dry. That once
wet cloth will begin growing in about 2 days. It will continue to grow
if it is still wet.
If you do
manage to dry out the rug or
sofa, but it was wet for longer than a couple of days, then every time
the humidity gets too high, or someone spills something, you'll notice
that musty mildew odor again. Mildew odor is almost synanonmous with
mildew are just like grass. If
grass doesn't get enough water or sunlight, it turns brown and doesn't
grow until it does get water and sunlight. Mold and mildew are the
same. They are going to need moisture though, not sunlight. Mold and
mildew hate direct sunlight so it is possible with rugs to place them
outside on a sunny deck for the day and the sun's rays will eliminate
odor that keeps returning to your
basement is a sign that the basement needs to be more dry. It could
also mean a weekend project to throw away all cardboard boxes and store
those items in plastic containers. Wet cardboard not only keeps mildew
odor alive (that means mold is growing in your home) it also is a
favored home for vermin.
that can hold a small moisture
content can create a mildew odor. Old clothes hanging in the basement
should be thrown out or given away as soon as possible. That goes for
furniture too. These things tend to trap mold spores that float
naturally along the smallest of air currents in our homes. When these
spores settle, all they need is the slightest moisture (high humidity)
to begin to grow and feed on the fabric to which they are attached.
- has a job?
job is to break down organic
matter. Mold spores are designed to find a food source and moisture,
then start growing and digesting. So the less paper based and textile
items that you have in the basement the better. You can find some
answers in "Top 10 mold/mildew solutions" which is free and at the
top-left of this page. It may spark an idea within you on how to rid
yourself of your mildew odor problems.
thing to be concerned about is
not so much the occassional mildew smell from the laundry area, but a
continual mildew odor somewhere in the house. Always suspect the wet
areas under sinks, bathrooms, basements, crawl spaces and anywhere that
instance I was searching for a
mildew odor in one of our bathrooms that is rarely used. I bleached
everything, cleaned the toilet, ran water down the drain of the bath to
make sure it wasn't coming from the drain, took everything out from
under the sink and I still couldn't find it.
had one of those very humid days
but the temperature wasn't too hot outside. I noticed that the toilet
water tank was sweating. That's when it hit me, that the humidity was
causing my problem. So I got my cleaning gear together and began
cleaning the OUTSIDE of the toilet. Especially the tank area and where
the tank meets the lower portion. My rags were coming out black and
though this form of mold is not
mildew, there is a good chance that the mold growing on the toilet
could have fouled the smell of our towels more quickly in that
bathroom. Now if mold is there, where else is it? That's the question
you'll have to ask yourself. Also, as brought out by the "Top 10"
report above, there are health risks to think about. Mildew odor won't
cause health issues, but the mold spores will.
It is very
wise to clear up as many
mildew odor problems as possible within your home. The mildew odor can
be thought of as the symptom of a mold problem. Just as blood running
down your arm is an indication that you probably have a scratch that
mildew odor will not only
make your life pleasant but it will certainly make your life more